Re: Automating small outside plant watering

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:08:37 +0100, you wrote:

>mmm... considering I don't have much time, maybe a mechanical kit would
>be better - I can leave the automating bit till I get back - If I get
>the bits that can be used in an automated system, even better :-)
>
>Paul.=20

You might want to try my "low-tech" method - bodged up when I was
persuaded to go on holiday at short notice last year, and needed a way
to water my tomatoes :)

The water source was my rain barrel - a plastic dustbin under the
conservatory rone downpipe - but you could use any similar container.

I used a cheap (=A320 from B & Q I think) garden pond fountain pump, a
few
metres of plastic air pipe (plus T-pieces and a clamp valve) from an
aquarium shop and an appliance module to control it.

Pump into barrel, pipe attached to pump using of all things a plastic
DIN plug cover held on with cable ties, which just happened to be the
right diameter for the pump outlet and for the pipe.

Lay out the piping as needed and prick a few holes at appropriate
points, and find something to block the ends - I just screwed wood
screws in :)

I left the system programmed for about 10 minutes every morning and
evening which was actually a bit too much, but I didn't have time to
experiment with it enough before I went off.  Getting it right is
probably going to take a week or so of experiments if you have the time.

It's not very high-tech, but it worked for me :))

David P.

--=20
David_Paterson =3D david.paterson@xxxxxxx =A6 david.paterson@vissci.=
com;

Senior programmer         There are three kinds of people in the world -
Visual Science Ltd.         those who can count, and those who can't...