Re: PAL v NTSC

Malcolm,

I'm no expert on this by any means but I'll give it a shot.
>from
outputting NTSC.
As far as I know, for a TV to handle NTSC it must do 2 main things:

1. Lock to the NTSC frequency (30 frames/second and opposed to PAL's 25
frames/second)
2. Do appropriate color conversion

It sounds as if all your TVs do one but not the other.
(My crappy TV only does the frequency one too).

Some devices will perform internal transcoding (such as my Samsung 709 DVD
player) so that you can select to always have the output in PAL regradless
of whether the source is NTSC or PAL. As far as I know you can readily buy
separate box to do the transcoding for you for around 30 quid (CPC, Maplins
etc.)

Hope that helps,
Andy.

P.S. If I've made any mistakes, someone feel free to correct me...