Automated telephone recording...

I would like to start automatically recording *all* telephone conversations
that take place on our home phone line, to wit I am seeking recommendations
for hardware/software to do it.

I Want to record to PC rather than to <some other recording device>,
and I
want each individual call recorded as a seperate file with a date/time
stamp
and an indication of whether it was an incoming or outgoing call (ideally
this should be part of the filename to make it easy to see at a glance).

Obviously I want it to be automatic, so it must be operated either by
detecting on/off hook signals, or by vox level on the line.

Now, obviously I know there are voice-operated automatic telephone
recorders
available off the shelf, but these tend to all be tape-based devices (tape,
what's that?).

I don't especially care what file format is used, but as it's voice only, I
think a compressed file format makes sense, and MP3 would seem to be an
obvious choice.

I already have Comfort, and I have notification of incoming calls being
flagged to my HA PC. - I'm not sure though if comfort reports on/off hook
events out of the UCM, so not sure if that's any help for this purpose. I
also have a Meteor in my spares bin (NTL in my area don't provide CID),
which I know does report these events, so it would be nice to make use of
that if possible. Finally, I also have a spare Hayes Accura voice modem
sitting around somewhere as well....

Is there any good software available that wouldnt need too much
programming/scripting to achieve this? - I don't have a great deal of spare
time ATM, and my list of things to do "when I get a round tuit"
is already
long enough! - a plug & play solution would be ideal...

any pointers?

Paul G.

One more thought, - are there any legal implications in doing this? - I've
always been under the impression that as long as one party to the
conversation is aware it is being recorded then it's OK, but I'm not
entirely sure *why* I think that, - I just think I read it somewhere ages
ago...

http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess