RE: How deep is your love ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: How deep is your love ?
  • From: "Paul" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:02:21 +0100

Ah, OK, you're talking about portable units. They operate in one unit
(rath=
er than installed split units that have a room unit that has a fan and
blow=
s out the cold air and an external condenser). The portable units normally
=
have a hot air vent (through a 1.5 - 3m flexible plastic hose). This can
be=
vented through a window/door to outside. I guess it can be vented into the=
loft WITH THE MAIN UNIT DOWNSTAIRS although it will get hot in there but a=
s long as there is no electronics, should be ok??? If you put the unit in
t=
he loft, it may well cut out when temp gets up.

=20

There are a few units that also have cold air ducted out through this type
=
of hose but most blow air out through a vent on top of the unit. Hence,
the=
units are designed to sit IN the room being cooled as they draw in room te=
mp air through a filter. I guess they will work to a very limited extent
if=
you do put them in the loft and somehow route the air down but the efficie=
ncy is going to be pretty poor as they will be sucking in hot air from the
=
loft (i.e. cooling hot air a bit but not as much as if they were in the
roo=
m cooling already cooled air).

=20

I have a 8000 BTU unit here and it's noisy (=A3200 B+Q =3D crap) and only
j=
ust manages to keep room temp stable but doesn't cool it down - but I do
ha=
ve several PC's and monitors and the room is South facing, so heat gains
ar=
e large. This size unit certainly won't do what you want as output
pressure=
and temp wouldn't be enough to vent to your locations.

=20

The top-end units are around 12000-13000 BTU or 3.5 KW or so. These may be
=
better. Depends what type you've got.

=20

If you're venting cold air to Node0, you really also want an extract like
p=
roper air con systems to give most efficiency. Could put in a standard
bath=
room ceiling fan (as I have done - in-line fan and duct kit) for around
=A3=
30.

=20

Hope that makes sense - just give it a go and see if it works ;) Let us
kno=
w how you get on.

Paul.=20

=20