RE: ADSL

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ADSL
  • From: "Dean Smith" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:01:35 +0100

Simon

The ADSL Modem is simply the part that decodes the "DSL" part

Something like the Vigor 2600 has the Modem built in. Some "Broadband
routers" dont - because for example Cable Broadband is often presented
as
Ethernet. The difference between a "router" and
"firewall" should be clear
cut. A router has little security for controlling what goes in and out - A
firewall adds this on top. Unfortunately various marketing departments have
a tendancy to blur the distinctions.

So yes :- PC running IPCop + USB DSL Modem = DSL Router/Firewall e.g. Vigor
2600

Whether you prefer the all-in-one hardware solution is personal preference
only...

Dean