Re: ADSL

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:06:42 +0100 (BST), you wrote:

>Some quick questions on ADSL.
>
>- Can anyone explain to me the difference between an
>ADSL modem and a ADSL router?
>
>- If I have a PC Based firewall do I need a router or
>will a modem do? I presume the firewall will perform
>all the extra functions a router performs.
>
>Any words of enlightenment you can provide will be
>most appreciated.

Think of these things as 3 separate 'black boxes'.

An ADSL modem talks to the unit in the exchange, and presents the
result to you - somewhat like a normal modem.

A router is involved in deciding where packets should go and chooses
the right cable to send them on.

A firewall attempts to block unwanted traffic.

An ADSL modem 'as sold' *usualy' contains the modem and a very
limited router.

An ADSL router *usualy* contains the modem and a much more
sophisticated router.  Sometimes they contain a firewall as well,
although the quality of this firewall can vary widely.

Read the spec of the device carefully - it *should* state what is
in the box!  Note that some 'broadband routers' don't actualy contain
an ADSL modem however!

Regards,
Harry.