RE: Re: Server software

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Server software
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 14:09:54 +0100

Shoutcast ( or Icecast) will stream a souncard audio input back
out as a Shoutcast stream - in fact almost anything that WinAMP can output
can be relayed out again as a Shoutcast (mp3) stream. This is very useful
for transcoding one format to another - I used it for a RealAudio to MP3
transcode so that my SliMP3 could play the BBC radio sites - I have to say
the quality when transcoding leaves a little bit to be desired but for a
straight soundcard audio in to mp3 stream out this should not be an issue.
I think maybe in later versions of WinAMP (v3) there might be less
capability in this area as some of the required plugins have not been
updated from the older (excellent) v2.87.

Re the Wavefinder - it streams in mp2 because that is what the
DAB transmission is encoded in so it's dead easy - the SliMP3 will play
this
stream directly although the Audiotron (and possibly the Rio) will not.

Kevin