RE: Re: eBay fraud contact number ??

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: eBay fraud contact number ??
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 12:41:08 +0100

This one is quite interesting - this is what I have been told so far.

There is usually one genuine seller whose auction is cloned as a number of
scam auctions - these auctions go up on another genuine users eBay account
which has compromised. Their email address has been changed (intercepted)
too.  What then appears to happen is that if you place a bid on a non
genuine auction a little later you get one of the eBay standard
confirmation
messages and within that there is a link to the auction item you are
bidding
on. (If) You click on the link you get the auction page (or a bogus copy of
it) and also one of the ordinary looking eBay - 'confirm your password' to
proceed further - Why are we asking you for your password' boxes. Of course
if you fill this in then your info wings its way elsewhere. The page you
are
looking at is simply a relay between eBay and you so the password
validation
works and you are able to see all your own 'myEbay' etc - in fact after a
password is acquired the 'relay' drops out of the loop. A little later your
account too is borrowed for a while to place a new bogus sale and acquire
new passwords. The account is only borrowed for a short while and then the
auction is removed and the email reinstated. Many users never realise.

As to why my bid appeared in an auction I had not participated in - I think
what happens on a 'pre-registered' auction is that if you click on the 'buy
it now' or 'place a bid' fields although eBay says you can't bid it appears
that the bid is lodged somewhere and should you later be approved to bid on
that auction (by the seller) then your bid shows up. In this particular
case
the original sellers auction was compromised and it appears eBay themselves
transferred all bids to a new auction.  I have noted that yet another
auction went up for this item and has been taken down with the words
"This
advert has been placed in the wrong user name:Please ignore" - anyway
- just
one last curious thing - all these sellers have the same first name -
almost
adjacent alphabetically - it strikes me that there could be some database
corruption issues at work here too within eBay - certainly the email that
my
first victim seller forwarded to me that eBay had sent to him was very
sheepish - it basically said that they were aware that his auction listings
were incorrect and that his account may have been compromised but had
corrected the problems and removed the offending items - this in itself
sounds suspect - this email could itself be a hoax to stop him contacting
eBay ! Anyway - changed all my eBay passwords again - and checked what I'm
selling and buying and all looks ok.

Kevin