RE: In-ceiling amplifiers

Simon,

I had a similar problem and couldn't find any to fit in my kitchen
cupboard.
So this weekend, I ripped the amp out of some PC speakers and rehoused it
in
a nice box from maplin. Because its driving a pair of good speakers rather
than its original rubishy ones, the overall sound quality is perfectly
acceptable for the kitchen. For your ceiling void, you wouldn't even need
rehouse it, just disconnect the internal speaker and connect your new ones.

Another, probably higher quality suggestion is to use a car amp and a 13.8v
power supply, but this will work out more expensive, and I'm not sure about
the heat output.

Cheers,

Rich.