[OT] Is there a RedHat guru in the house ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [OT] Is there a RedHat guru in the house ?
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:18:08 +0100

Arrrgh !

I can now see why people dump and run from Linux. I've been a Slackware
&
Debian user for many years now, but this is my first venture into Redhat.

I've installed RedHat 9 from the ISO's downloaded from Redhat's FTP site, I
ran the up2date application. Now the fun starts, I want to install a driver
for the Modem (Intel based software modem) and need to install useful
things
like the kernel sources gcc etc... The Package Manager is telling me I need
to have version x.y.y of a package, when I resort to downloading that
version of the RPM from the ftp site and manually running RPM, it tells me
that I already have a later version.

Without reformatting and installing Debian (very tempted) how can I get the
Package Manager to resolve conflicts like this and actually let me install
the required software ? I've tried a search on the documentation site, but
that is very naff and I'm not in a rush to pay Redhat for support

Probably better to reply off-list