RE: PC IO - What do you use ?

Hi Scott,

I know a number of the people on the Misterhouse list use the Weeder I/O
products.  I believe they are external.  They connect via the serial
port and can be chained together to increase the I/O.  On digital I/O
ports they report any changes of state via ASCII strings.

I myself use an internal PC card that looks like a PPI 8255 chip.  There
are drivers around (at least for Linux, never looked for Windows) for
interfacing to an 8255. The cards I use are Axiom AX5215 cards, because
I got them for nothing.  They are 96 digital I/O cards. Unfortunately
they are ISA so I ended up putting them in an old 486 server machine I
have running that does other odds and sods and wrote a simple program to
allow a socket connection to this machine and get the state of the I/O.

Of course for a few I/O you can simply use parallel port cards.

Cheers
Shane