Another newbie - looking for a remote

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Another newbie - looking for a remote
  • From: "Chris Malme" <ChrisM@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:57:57 -0000

This will be a familiar story. An absolute "can't resist" bargain
of
a modest kit spotted in PC World leads to dabbling in X10, and ends
up with spending a lot more money than ever saved in the first place.

Anyway I am already thinking of replacing my remote (a Marmitek 4-in-
1) which is doing a nice job of controlling X10, TV and Video with
something that can learn the codes of my DVD/Video combi and
Ondigital Box. The Marmitek 8-in-1 looks fine, but I spotter this one
on the web, which seems to do it all, and has a layout I prefer.

http://www.x-10europe.com/multi_media_8_in_1.htm

(Notably the OK and cursor buttons for DVD menu control, which is
what I have been looking for. I realise I can always map this
function to the numeric pad, but I would prefer a cursor pad).

Has anyone actually seen these for sale, and have any opinion of them?

In parting, a quick introduction and potted history. I am a computer
consultant, so controlling things from a PC seemed natural to me. It
was only when I got the remote in my hand, that I realised the fun I
could have. My plans have therefore changed from simply wanting to
make the house look lived in while we are away, to completely
automating the lighting in my house, enabling the (individually
wired) lights in the whole of the open plan room downstairs to be
controlled from one wall panel, and using PiRs for added security.
Fairly mundane stuff, by the sound of some of the things being
discussed here. I am currently having new windows and conservatory
installed, so I may go for controlled curtains/blinds at a later date.

Chris