Re: IR and SLIMP3

Chris, there is a bunch of discussion at the moment on the SLIMP3
developers
list about using the IR receiver as a general purpose zone receiver.

It's something I am looking at, as part of a general purpose IR framework
for xPL. There's a few bits of example code lying around that could use a
TIVO as a zone receiver also.

In theory (I say in theory, because whilst the concept is fairly rounded
out, the code is only in early build stages) the xPL IR Message Schema
should allow pretty much any intelligent IR capable device (like SLimp3,
Tivo, RedRat etc) to act as a zone receiver or a transmitter (Tivo, in
particular seems a good target, with it's IR wands...)

If thats not going to happen quickly enough (home brew takes a longer time
to come to fruition) the Xantech distribution modules seem to be very
popular, and you can get a "blaster" type unit that just fires IR
into the
room, rather than needing a stick-on emitter.

Ian.