Major panic last night

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Major panic last night
  • From: "Paul" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:38:32 +0100

Last night I was about an hour away from home watching SWIMBO=92s Primary
S=
chool production (which was actually very good!) =96 Oh, and SWMBO is the
d=
eputy head =96 not one of the kids!!!. In the middle, my alarm (Comfort)
ra=
ng my mobile to tell me my house was being broken into!

Listening to the alarm history told me that the hall and then kitchen
senso=
r had triggered close together. My dog was closed up in the kitchen but I
d=
id wonder if she=92d managed to get into the hall and trigger the alarm
(no=
other sensors had been triggered). I phoned the police but even though two=
separate sensors had been triggered, they weren=92t interested but asked m=
e to phone them back when I=92d found out what it was (and no doubt caught
=
any intruder myself!). Rushed back to the house to find all was well and
no=
sign of the dog having escaped (all door firmly shut). Very odd =96 not su=
re what could have caused both PIR=92s to trigger especially as we
haven=92=
t had a false alarm in the year Comfort=92s been installed.

This kind of incident brings several things home =96

1)	It=92s very frustrating not to have more info on what=92s going on
(stil=
l pictures to the phone would be good)
2)	Comfort=92s alarm log is good but it would be better if it collated the
=
entries and presented them in a more understandable way i.e. =93hall PIR
tr=
iggered, five seconds later kitchen PIR triggered, five minutes later and
n=
o further activations=94 etc. I=92m sure this can be done with a bit of
scr=
ipting and ACE?
3)	SMS text with details would have been good =96 how can I do this?
4)	It=92s all very well having a sophisticated alarm system but unless you
=
understand the alarm history entries in detail, you can=92t be sure
what=92=
s actually going on.
5)	Having a plan for this kind of event is critical (especially when the
Po=
lice aren=92t interested)

Any ideas on how to achieve these would be good.

Paul.