RE: [OT] Website styling

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Website styling
  • From: "Alex Monaghan" <ha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:56:32 +0100

As long as it's plain black text on a white background, maybe a frame or 2
for a menu then I'm happy :-)

Seriously, a lot will depend on your intended audience, a simple design
will
(hopefully) load quicker, whereas a dynamic site will be dependant on the
complexity of the underlying database / php code. If your ISP's server is
up
to the job, then there probably will be little difference, but if the site
traffic increases or the traffic on another of the ISP's client's using the
same shared server as you, then the added overhead of the dynamic site
could
slow things down. If your audience is dialup then this may not be noticed,
but having broadband I do seem to notice that some busy dynamic sites build
content slowly.

The site I'm currently working on has a simple top, mid left, mid centre,
mid right and bottom frames with a menu in the left & right frame, to
display a welcome page with menus, then hides the bottom and either of the
left / right frames to display sub menu & content.

You might want to consider <DIV> tags rather than frames, but that
again is
personal preference.

I guess I'd better add my own site to my to-do list now I'm also forced to
change hosting companies :-)