OT: List Server Software

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: OT: List Server Software
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 16:45:45 -0000

Hi all,

As you may be aware, I co-moderate eMog, a list about Morgan Sports
Cars, similar in size (both number of members and message volumes) to
UKHA_D.

We took the view a long while ago that eMog should steer clear of
advertising-supported services, and went to a service provider who
gave us a Lyris service.

Fortunately, we found someone who was a classic car enthusiast, and
got about a 90% discount :-)

The bad news - he's been bought out, and the bill is about to go from
$180/year to almost $2,000/year, which we can't afford.

Total transfer volume is about 4Gb/month, so RapidHoster could handle
the bandwidth requirements, HOWEVER, the question is one of list
server functionality.

Most Morgan owners are in their 60s or 70s, and not "agile" when
it
comes to learning new technologies. We need a software package that
has _all_ of the following:

- list server, with option to take messages as:
--- on the web only
--- every mail as it arrives
--- digests containing all messages (once a day)
--- digests containing just subject lines

- must allow users to attach JPGs as email attachments, and render
them properly in web-based viewing of the list

- must be "approved-members only", ie allow moderators the
ability to
approve all memberships

- must have "moderate a particular member" functionality

- must cost a lot less than Lyris

I've looked at the "standard" list servers, but all appear to
fall
down on one or two items. I wondered if anyone knew of anything that
met all the requirements?

Regards,

Mark
www.emog.com