RE: Re: [OT] Kenneth's pet project!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: [OT] Kenneth's pet project!
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:28:16 +0100

> I'm writing a review of the P800 for your site. It's asking for my
> email address but will that be displayed on your site or is it for
> your eyes only? For junk mail reasons I no longer want my email shown
> on the web. What's your situation on that please?

Yes it does look for an address, I did a test review and it has my address
on it as well. What I did notice is that it is in the format of the
reviewer
name and not the email address and that the html shows as mailto:xxx@xxxxxxx
so a bot shouldn't pick that up. ISTR a discussion on this very subject
here
or in IRC and both those measures, whilst not eliminating the prospect of
SPAM (but then is there full protection against it?) it does reduce the
risks as much as possible.

The reason we really have to have a valid address is in case some
manufacturers whine about the review, unfair etc etc, and since you as the
reviewer hold the copyright we would first ask you to respond to any
comments before doing anything. The other reason is that should anyone have
a specific issue with an appliance the manufacturer or whoever may well
want
to contact you directly to attempt to resolve the problem.

Hope that kinda explains it.

K.