HTPC snaps & rant

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: HTPC snaps & rant
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <steve@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:22:28 +0100

Well, the new HTPC is up and running (on my desk, for now), so I thought
I'd post a few pics.

http://www.wormpurple.com/htpc

<Rant mode="on">
It's taken me since 7pm last night to upload those pictures.

Turns out that my D-Link DSL-604+ wireless router completely fails to
send any more than about 10kB of data before the connection hangs. I've
had all sorts of connection problems of late (since I installed it, what
a coincidence), including problems posting forms, e-mails not sending
first time, etc.

I've had to resort to the Alcatel frog.

The D-Link even had to have a firmware upgrade to enable it to use WEP
when I bought it. Now, I can't even get a reliable connection to the
damn thing to upgrade the firmware again.

It is, to be honest, a pile of cack.
</Rant>

So, if I can get my money back on this thing, what should I replace it
with? I don't actually need a wireless router - I have an AP, so a
straight ADSL router would do. Is the Vigor 2600 still a popular choice?
Any problems?

Cheers,
Steve