Front end for MP3 DB using MainLobby

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Front end for MP3 DB using MainLobby
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:02:18 -0000

Having looked more in-depth at MainLobby - I really like it. One of the
things I'd like to do is use it to access my MP3 collection. However,
the MP3 collection is very large. I've had a go with JReceiver using
Java and mySQL as a backend. It's good but is really designed to stream
MP3's to hardware such as a Rio etc.

What I'd like to do is write a Flash app that can simply 'drop' into
MainLobby and would query the mySQL DB to view playlists etc and then
send the files to something like WinAmp running on the server where the
MP3 files exist. WinAmp then outputs directly to my whole-house Amp.

I know Director can talk SQL (via a plugin), and I guess Flash can do
the same with some Actionscript.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone know of a flash app that already does
something similar? Having this kind of functionality within ML would be
really powerful (There already is some kind of MP3 player add-on to ML
but I would imagine it's not setup to deal with 30,000 MP3's!!!).

Paul.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
HGTV Dream Home Giveaway