RE: OT Mail Problems

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT Mail Problems
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:44:33 -0000

Something to consider when you get your ADSL:

I have found the best trade-off with reliability/speed etc seems to be to
set your domain's primary MX record to your ADSL line's static IP so, by
default, email comes in to your SME Server's SMTP Server directly, however,
for reliability, you should set a Secondary, lower priority MX record to
point at your exisiting hoster..

So, if your ADSL line is down for a bit/disconnected or your server is
powered off, your email should go to your hoster, and you can pick up via
POP3 whenever you com back online..

As for now, if outlook can't talk IMAP to your SME box, I'm wondering, have
you changed Outlook from Internet Email only to Corporate and Workgroup? I
seem to recall you had to do that to make it fly..

The other thing is, use a specifically internal name for your server, like
just "mail" rather than the Fully qualified domain name, it reduces the risk
of confusion, or wacky routing ;)

Ian.