RE: Fantastic response so far...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Fantastic response so far...
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 10:59:40 -0000

>Hi Ian
>Would you care to expand on this?
>then they gave a large number of people Anthrax toxin proteins instead,
>
>Instead of what?

Instead of the protein surfaces being examined for potential Cancer Treating
effects. In the wake of Sept 11, UD switched many people (myself included)
across to processing proteins which could act as a treatment for advanced
stage Anthrax infection. United Devices did not present any option, nor did
they in fact tell anyone: it was a keen eyed biologist who spotted the
switch. after a week they admitted it. There is now a page here:
http://members.ud.com/projects/anthrax/ about the project.

Whilst this could in itself be a noble goal, the information gathered was
handed over to the US Military, leaving the motives *very* cloudy indeed.
The precise mechanism being researched in the Anthrax proteins *is* a very
potent way to combat the disease, but it's also a potential way to deliver
newer, more deadly bioweapon payloads in an easy to deliver air-borne
format.

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2002/b03082002_bt112-02.html

I found the underhanded way this was done unacceptable.

>if you find the company's IP statement acceptable, by all means run the UD
>software,
>
>Which part are you referring to??

Specifically,

"After taking account of any steps necessary to preserve patentability,
Professor Richards' research group, the project co-ordinator, will publish
the results" and "It is hard to tell what will be published with the
research still underway"

The project roadmap makes it clear that patents and royalties are number one
concern here, in contrast to the teams who have been researching the p53
protein. This research is producing some amazing results, and is completely
open, with complete disclosure between groups.

The fact that UD have not produced an open source client, I feel, betrays a
much deeper philosophical viewpoint. They are not going to release the
protein folding information into the scientific community in an open way,
rather keep it secret for their own commercial ends.

>By the sound of your email you voted with your feet ,BUT you don't actually
>confirm this.

I no longer participate in the UD project for these reasons.

I was trying to tread the fine line between encouraging people to do some
research and make an informed decision, and bashing what is, after all, a
project with a noble goal (if questionable implementation)

I.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
HGTV Dream Home Giveaway