Re: XBox - was Windows XP Media Center Edition Review

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Ian Lowe" <ian@w...> wrote:
> Dare I say... "it's not running windows"
>
> As an addition, it's not really a high spec PC, but rather a very
high spec
> Graphics Card that is needed for high end PC gaming (although the
whole
> system helps ;) )
>
> The X-Box includes an embedded nVidia Geforce "3.5" with quite a
lot of high
> end features.

I just spotted this thread while browsing at work, and most of the
reasons for consoles being better than PCs are right on the nose.

It's a combination of all the factors - dedicated hardware, no O/S,
and of course the skillz of us programmers making sure it's all done
properly :))

The XBox is certainly a nice piece of hardware, and the easiest of
all the current generation machines to program.  I'm eagerly awaiting
the next developments, just to see what it's going to be capable of.

> Also, the X-Box is *not* better for games... it's better for very,
very
> simple games, of the sort you could play without realising it by
sitting on
> the controller. ;)
>
> Those of us in the competitive Unreal Tournament community were
apalled at
> the latest version, UT2003, as this has been pitched as a cross-
platform
> game, it has been dumbed down and de-skilled to suit the console
market..

> If you want instant fun, and don't mind very shallow gameplay, then
> console may well be your thing.. if you prefer games that are
actually
> mentally or physically engaging, the PC is King.
>
> I.

I think I have to take you to task on this point.  Sure, there are
quite a lot of console games which aren't exactly stunning, but there
are also vast numbers of PC games that are as bad (or worse!).

I agree consoles aren't great for FPS, mainly due to the restrictions
of input via the pad.  But there are loads of other games which are
ideal on consoles, and some which are more playable than on a PC.

I'd go with the "horses for courses" approach, the same as with any
application.  Choose the hardware to suit for best results.  Using
the wrong platform will definitely give you poorer performance.

David P.
(currently debugging audio for F1 2003 - coming soon on XBox,
PS2 and Gamecube :)

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
HGTV Dream Home Giveaway