BIG Hard drives

In my search for the ideal backup solution, I came across the
Maxtor 5000XT 250GB USB2/Firewire external drive.
This is 252 inc VAT from dabs, and seems to be pretty good value for money, as
well as being easy to use - press one button and your PC gets backed up.

Does anyone have one of these and can they comment on them?

They seem to be pretty good value for money, considering that 200Mb drives are
about the same price, and the only 250GB drive I can see otherwise is the
Maxtor MaxLine for 322 quid!
It makes me wonder if the 5000XT actually contains two smaller drives instead
of a single large one....

Either way, aside from the backup point of view, it struck me that these could
perhaps be ideal for your audio or DivX files.  I don't know though if they can
_only_ be used via the backup software, or if they appear as normal drives on
your PC.  The other issue is speed - in theory USB2 or Firewire is fast enough,
but in practice?

thoughts anyone?

cheers,

--