HomeSeer Phone 2

Sorry for the crosspost, but there seems to be little life on the homeseer
group these days.

My HomeSeer and HomeSeer phone has been running quite nicely for a while
with my Pace modem. It announces CID fine, takes messages fine; can't dial
in and get messages or control any X.10, and the modem locks now and again;
but hey nothings perfect.

I upgraded to HomeSeer Phone 2, and the Pace modem would not work. I did not
expect it too as it has an unsupported chipset (HSP 2 only supports
conextant). So I bought a cheap (9.99) modem from PC world (Creative HSPPCI
DI5732) which was Conextant based.

Everything on HSP 2 now works, and I can do all of the cool stuff that did
not work on HSP 1.

But. The manual for this modem says it needs a minimum P3 550mhz or higher
to run, which suggests it is a software modem. My HomeSeer systems is an old
P1 233, I do see a high CPU utilisation when the modem is active, everything
_seems_ to be fine.

So the questions I would like ask:

Do manufacturers set the minimum spec deliberately high for software modems,
so the user will not notice the extra CPU being used, and hence wont
complain?

Is there anything that I have not considered here that might result as a
consequence of using a lower spec PC.

Would I be better junking the software modem and simply getting a hardware
one (eg
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?&product_uid=26175)?
(does hardware=good, software=evil in the modem world?)

Thanks - Steve

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
HGTV Dream Home Giveaway