Re: Media Servers

David,

I see things much the same way as you and Keith, and am planning to put
together a system along similar lines to yours, although I was not
planning on streaming anything other than DAB radio. I want to take as
much load off the server(s) as possible, and it seems simpler to me,
with processing power in each room, to run local apps. accessing the
data on NFS mounts.

I could be interested in collaborating on this, or at least comparing
notes, if we have slightly different approaches.

Incidentally, it seems to me that one upside to this approach is that it
should make the much-vaunted flood wiring of every room redundant. A
couple of Cat.5s + Coax should do per room. [...waits for wide and
vociferous contradiction...]

One point I'd be interested to hear opinions on is noise. If the
machines in each room are going to operate as multimedia delivery
mechanisms, they need to be near silent. Yet a games machine for
reasonably up-to-date 3D games needs both pretty powerful CPU and
graphics card. All the more powerful graphics cards nowadays have fans
built on, which immediately introduces noise. Likewise, probably the
most powerful CPUs you can run safely without a fan are either the Via
C3 or a Transmeta processor, neither of which are exactly high-powered.

My last attempt at putting together the most high-powered machine I
could devise that could run near silent consisted of:

* Athlon XP 2200+ (the lowest-powered 0.13micron Athlon that I could
find, bought to underclock and run cool)

* Zalman Flower CPU cooler (whose associated fan should be able to run
at minimum revs if the Athlon is underclocked)

* ATI Radeon 7500 with fan removed and replaced with Zalman GPU heatsink
(the Radeon 7500 seemed from the Zalman list to be the fastest GPU that
could survive with just the heatsink and no fan)

* "Silent" PSU

* No hard disk - saves money, heat and noise

* Network card with bootROM to enable diskless operation

* Other components (e.g. DVD-ROM drive, Audigy soundcard and Hauppauge
WinTV Nova-T digital tuner card) that have fewer implications for the
noise levels

This was a far from successful project. In particular, I would say it
was a mistake going with the Athlon. It may be due to the truly awful
Epox 8K3A motherboard, but the system was hopelessly unstable if I
underclocked the Athlon. Having to run the Athlon at full speed meant
that I had to run the Zalman fan also at full revs, which immediately
introduced significant amounts of noise.

The plan to do without the hard disk also failed as I got serious
network transmission errors trying to run the network card with bootROM
on this motherboard.

I am guessing that both these problems might be soluble if I replaced
the Athlon and motherboard with an Intel-based solution. It might be
sufficient just to replace the motherboard, but I have had so many bad
experiences with Via chipsets, which most Athlon boards use, that I
would probably get rid of both if I had the time and the money to burn.

The more fundamental problem is that this is open to the accusation of
falling between two stools. As a multimedia box, even for
encoding/decoding video, it is probably overkill. But gamers would
probably see it as inadequate. Is it possible to come up with a silent
box that is suitable for multimedia, games and general computing use?
What would people use?

Cheers,

Bruno Prior

David Anumudu wrote:
> Keith
>
> interesting thoughts...
>
> I am a kat5 user, and have been wrestling with the task of delivering whole
> house audio / video / computing / gaming .
>
> to achieve that I have come to the conclusion that svideo/rgb distribution
> sourced out of the back of set top boxes etc is not up to the task if you
> are a home theatre/av enthusiast.
>
> If you want to drive plasmas, projectors, lcds (basically all of the new
> types of display devices that have a specific native resolution) , then you
> need to have a pc to drive them at that custom resolution to achieve best
> performance, with the video scaled to that resolution. Add on to that the
> fact that many of these devices now have DVI then again a PC per device is
> required..So, that takes care of the output, source selection etc..How do we
> get the input?
>
> My thoughts here are again that everything broadcast should be captured and
> streamed on the LAN as MPEG (using capture cards for Sky/Tivo/games
> consoles, DVBs card for non sky satellite, DVBt cards for freeview), and
> existing personal DVD/music collections ripped on to hard disc and simply
> shared across a network filesystem
>
> this gives the best quality, and the greatest flexibility, allowing any
> connected device to either pull the stream off the LAN (giving a true
> 'matrix / kat5 switcher solution), plus each device can also do its own
> thing locally..
>
> it just needs the co-ordination and integration of a number of technologies
> / applications out there which individually *almost* deliver this..
>
> anyone up for collaborating on this?
>
> regards
> David

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor