Re: Barcode DataBase

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 12:18, Stuart Poulton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In line with Stuart G's thread re-name, heres a summary of the current state
> of play with the UKHA barcode database.
>
> A simple database currently exists here :
>
> http://gadgeteer.org.uk/barcode/ukha_barcode/
>
> I'm willing to continue to host the DB, but I think we should decide on
> exactly what is required in both the DB schema, and access / updates.
>
> I'd like to follow something similar the the FreeDB (CDDB) access model.
>
> Comments and suggestions please.

I think the best way forward is to go through a requirements capture ->
requirements document -> sign off -> technical plan series.

It's the process we use here at work, and it's excellent at giving the
customer exactly what they want.

Requirements Capture
--------------------

The customer says "we want it to do this" the customer in this case
being the HA community. We all chip in and say what we'd like to be able
to do with the db once it's created. This should be things like what you
want to store, how you want to be able to update and how you'd like to
be able to query the database.

Requirements Document
---------------------

This is the document given to the developers that says "The customer
wants this" the developers then look at the document and come up with
anything that is unclear in the spec. The req. doc. is then changed to
reflect the answers to these questions.

Sign Off
--------

Once any queries are clared up, the customer says "yup, that what I
want" and signs off the req. doc.

Technical Plan

The developers involved get together & come up with a plan of how to
implement the req. this is a technical doc and not really for customers,
but in our case that's probably not relevent.

What do you all think?

--
Stuart Grimshaw <stuart@xxxxxxx>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor