[OT] Software Engineering Employment

Hi folks,

I promised myself I wasn't going to start doing this, but I'm guessing
that there might be some useful insights and/or contacts contained within
this list, so here goes..

I am currently looking for employment as a software engineer, and as those
of you in the industry will probably know, it's not easy to find this kind
of job out there, especially at the almost-entry-level that I'm at. I'm
willing to move anywhere within the UK or to the US or Canada if I can
find work there.

The necessary blurb: I graduated from the Robert Gordon University in
Aberdeen with a B.Sc. (hons) in Computer Science, passing with first class
honours, and winning the class prize. I have about two years of combined
relevant work experience, between a fifteen month placement at BT, a six
month contract doing development work for the university, and a couple of
miscellaneous summer jobs doing development. I also have a Sun
certification in Java at the "Programmer" level, and I was a finalist in
the "Scottish Young Software Engineer of the Year" award on the basis of
my networked home automation honours project (this is the tenuous link to
this list. :) ).

I've been looking in the typical places (University Careers office, online
agencies, jobcenter lists, graduate schemes at large companies, etc.), and
have been asking a few contacts to see what I can find out. I haven't been
having a huge amount of success though.

If anyone has any ideas, or any contacts that I might try, I'd be very
grateful to hear from you.

Thanks for your patience. ;)

~Gordon Christie
homeautomation@xxxxxxx