-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Hawkins [mailto:lists@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 11 January 2003 17:35
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] TiVo

Hi Brian,

            The instructions for getting TivoWeb to start automatically
are included in Tony's page at
http://www.arielbusiness.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/freeranger/TiVo/HowTo.htm.
under a section entitled "Getting TiVoWeb to start up Automatically" ;-)
You will need to add the startup line   /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb to
rc.sysinit. It's not too much of an issue if it doesn't start up
automatically as the Tivo is very stable. However if you want to then...

            Do you have Joe installed on the Tivo ? I ask because it is
not a good idea to edit rc.sysinit from Windows. Note this comment from
the how to

(Note: If the text appears all jumbled when using Joe, then try typing
export TERM=vt100 at the # prompt before running Joe.)

When you copy files backwards and forwards between Windows and Tivo and
edit them on the PC they have a habit of becoming unusable on the Tivo
as they can get CR/LF's inserted. Additionally the privileges can get
messed up. rc.sysinit is a very important file to the Tivo and if you
mess it up or you end up with it's privileges wrong it will fail to run
and your Tivo won't boot so I can only stress the importance of doing it
right. You will have to remove the disk from the Tivo and manually fix
it in the PC which is messy. There is a recent thread on the UKHA_Tivo
group entitled "Creating the rc.sysinit.hack file" that shows what can
(and did ) go wrong when you screw this up - I know - I was that man.

            In Tony's 'how to's' there is a section entitled 'Making
hacking safer on the Tivo" - I would suggest this is a good thing to do.
What it effectively does is create another file called rc.sysinit.hack
that is chained onto the end of the rc.sysinit file. Once this is done
then it avoids you having to edit rc.sysinit directly which means you
are less likely to screw the Tivo up. Unfortunately to create this chain
you have to edit rc.sysinit once but after that it's fine. Later edits
are done to the hack file. If you do this then instead of adding the
/var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/  line to rc.sysinit you would add it to
rc.sysinit.hack which is much safer.

            Now the updates. The Tivo will automatically use the
Ethernet interface for it's updates assuming you installed the TurboNet
software using the 9th Tee CD. In fact to get back to telephone use will
require some editing. As long as your Tivo has internet connectivity all
will be well. I think it already has as you could see some web info from
Doogies previous suggestion. You can test it with ping if you have that
installed on the Tivo (not the PC). Just try pinging any internet
address and it should work showing the Tivo can send and receive data.
You can also do a forced daily call from the Tivo menus and that would
work. In fact a test call is much quicker and will work too - it takes
about 3 mins .

            Kevin

            PS If you do edit rc.sysinit directly then three pointers

1)       Make a backup first and leave a copy both on your PC and on the
Tivo in the same directory as the original rc.sysinit, name it something
like rc.sysinit.working.

2)       Follow the editing instructions exactly - if in any doubt then
ctrlC out of Joe and abandon the changes and start again.

3)       Make sure you change the privileges of rc.sysinit using  chmod
755 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and change the file system back to read only
mount -o remount,ro / and sync BEFORE you reboot the Tivo or you may get
locked out