Re: Media Servers

Keith

interesting thoughts...

I am a kat5 user, and have been wrestling with the task of delivering whole
house audio / video / computing / gaming .

to achieve that I have come to the conclusion that svideo/rgb distribution
sourced out of the back of set top boxes etc is not up to the task if you
are a home theatre/av enthusiast.

If you want to drive plasmas, projectors, lcds (basically all of the new
types of display devices that have a specific native resolution) , then you
need to have a pc to drive them at that custom resolution to achieve best
performance, with the video scaled to that resolution. Add on to that the
fact that many of these devices now have DVI then again a PC per device is
required..So, that takes care of the output, source selection etc..How do we
get the input?

My thoughts here are again that everything broadcast should be captured and
streamed on the LAN as MPEG (using capture cards for Sky/Tivo/games
consoles, DVBs card for non sky satellite, DVBt cards for freeview), and
existing personal DVD/music collections ripped on to hard disc and simply
shared across a network filesystem

this gives the best quality, and the greatest flexibility, allowing any
connected device to either pull the stream off the LAN (giving a true
'matrix / kat5 switcher solution), plus each device can also do its own
thing locally..

it just needs the co-ordination and integration of a number of technologies
/ applications out there which individually *almost* deliver this..

anyone up for collaborating on this?

regards
David