RE: What is 575i?

Yes and no :-)

I would agree that the term IS a HDTV term, in the sense that it came
about because the hi-def industry wanted a way to express the already
existing standards in numbers that were comparable with the numbers they
were using to describe the new standards.

This also explains why the HDTV industry prefer the number 575 instead
of 625 - because it gives visible lines, and is therefore a fairer
comparison with the 720 visible lines, say, of 720p. This is because
625->720 feels a lot less of a jump than 575->720.

However, 575i is not a "high-definition TV standard" in the sense that
it does NOT offer any higher definition than the existing broadcast
standards used in most of Europe, Africa and Asia.

Best to regard it as a translation term...

... Old way of saying things - PAL
... New way of saying things - 575i

... Old way of saying things - NTSC
... New way of saying things - 480i

... Old way of saying things - Pal Progressive
... New way of saying things - 575p

... Old way of saying things - NTSC progressive
... New way of saying things - 480p

... Old way of saying things - Nasty, Hideous, Evil HDTV
... New way of saying things - 1024i

... Old way of saying things - God's own HDTV standard
... New way of saying things - 720p

(OK - I was sort of making up the last two "old terms") :-)

Regards,

Mark