Re: Re: Media Servers

From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
> Being an ex DJ my music collection is 99.99% based around singles and
> complilation albums. Everything else out there was designed for "an album
by
> an artist" where all tracks are by the same artist. That does not fit my
> collection at all.

Sounds like my collection really.  I get put off by the album/artist thing.
I generally use the software that does this, and have a "various artists"
artist for compilations, and singles sit with the albums.  Can be cumbersome
though!

> I also wanted to be able to find and play any song within seconds so the
> database has tightly controlled data which must be input manually although
> once an artist has been entered once they can be reselected by typing 2 or
3
> characters and clicking on the name displayed.

Cool!

> The MP3 files are also "non conventional" in that the filename is
something
> like 10602.mp3 and all the details are stored in the database not MP3
tags.

> When it is eventually finished I will put a demo on a website and possible
> make it available for download if I can find some way of assisting the
input
> process by reading info from the tags.
>
> Everyone who has seen it is impressed by the features, just put off by the
> thought of entering the data :-(

I can imagine, but few of mine are properly tagged anyway.  I'm too
disorganised!

Andy