RE: Cabling Piccies

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Cabling Piccies
  • From: "Malcolm Surgenor" <malcolm@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 19:24:33 -0000

>Anyone got any tips on putting cable behind plasterboard? is it best
>to just rip it off? will there be horizontal beams behind it at the
>bottom or will I be able to come straight up from under the
>floorboards?

yes Stuart there will be horizontal beams (they have a name but for the like
of me I can't recall that just now).  What I did was use one of those
wiring/pipe detectors to locate the beam and then punch a small hole either
side until I'd found the exact edge (the detector wasn't always very
accurate). Then I drilled a large hole around 1" either side, got the cable
passed down and then drilled out enough plasterboard and beam to allow the
cable to then be plastered over. (I passed the cable through a small piece
of plastic pipe slightly bigger that the cable just in case I needed to pull
the cable out again.)

I've done this now on numerous occasions and have found it minimises the the
amount of plastering and redecorating I've had to do.  Also I've only ever
come across one cross beam on each occasion. Hope that helps.

Malcolm