Electricity Consumption monitoring - was Maplin Wattage & Current Meter

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Electricity Consumption monitoring - was Maplin Wattage & Current Meter
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:05:52 -0000

Hello Neil,

            Thanks f= or the info here. Ideally what I would like to do is
have some cost effective metering on each of my fused outputs from the
distribution panel but there are a lot =96 about 15 so if there is no cost<= BR> effective means of doing this =96 meaning that the sensors had to be
attached to each output but the main control electronics was one then I
will probably go the =91feed=92 measuring route. However I would like to ge= t
both the KWHr and at any point an instantaneous power level reading ,
although perhaps for the latter a current would do. I really want to be
able to detect that a load has indeed =91come on=92 after being instructed<= BR> to do so and would therefore like resolvability to say 60W or 250ma.

            I have b= een looking at RS Components product=85

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?BV_SessionID=3D@@= @@097009914
0.1042206662@@@@
<http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/browse/Module.jsp?BV_SessionID= =3D@@@@09700991
40.1042206662@@@@&BV_EngineID=3Dccchadchejldhhfcfngcfkmdgkldfhg.0&3= 2196594
76=3D3219659476&stockNo=3D2489017&prmstocknum=3D2489017&prodoid= =3D270839>
&BV_EngineID=3Dccchadchejldhhfcfngcfkmdgkldfhg.0&3219659476=3D32196= 59476&sto
ckNo=3D2489017&prmstocknum=3D2489017&prodoid=3D270839

            This lin= k may need a bit of cut and pasting to work ! It
looks very nice but as with all RS bits it tends to be top price but I
couldn=92t determine the manufacturer or find it elsewhere. Actually it
has more features than I need. All I really want is the pulsed output at a fairly high resolution. This seems to provide 100 pulse per KWHr =96 I would have really like 1000 pulses =96 I guess I can measure the period of<= BR> the pulses to get instantaneous power but it will not be very accurate.
A trickle load of say 2KW means 200 pulses per hour or a period of 18
seconds between pulses moving to 2060 KWHr (one light) alters the period to 17.47 S but it takes me that long to know the power has increased =96 (actually it takes me almost twice as long to get an accurate figure) so it=92s not really suitable =96 I guess I need current metering for this.

            Do you k= now of a low cost, high resolution (displayless)
product that has pulse resolution of 100 /Kwhr or better (1000/Kwhr),
preferably with integrated current transformer or direct through
connection coping to say 100A =96 although am I fused at 63 A possibly.
Any other links to products much appreciated.

            Kevin