RE: Re: RE: Windows XP Media Center Edition Review

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: RE: Windows XP Media Center Edition Review
  • From: "Gerard McGovern" <stuff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 14:51:20 -0000

> Gerard,
>
> For the last 15 years, UK consumers have been able to buy
> separates audio systems from Richer Sounds for =A3300 that
> sound way better than the "all in one" midi systems from the=
> high-street multiples.
>
> Applying your standard of "device not as good as separate
> devices", midi systems are, to use your term "worthless"= ;.
>
> By your logic, midi systems will not sell in any numbers.
>
> The last time I looked, Richer Sounds had a far smaller
> market share of the domestic music player space than Dixons,
> Currys, Comet etc. Likewise, midi systems sell in far greater
> numbers than separate amps.
>
> This might suggest that there is something wrong with your
> model of consumer behaviour...

To be fair Mark, there is something massively wrong with the example you are using.

When you have a seperates system or a midi system the end result is
still the same; it produces sound. A midi system is NOT a converged
device. It is combined device, something completely different.

Read what I said again. "Convergence is all well and good but if the converged device doesn't perform the job as well as the individual
devices then what is the point?". When you produce a midi system it still plays CDs, tapes etc in the same way as the seperates system will
(not talking quality here). The same can not be said for the Media
Center.

If we are talking about consumer behaviour, the most popular electronic
Christmas present for the past two years has been the DVD player. That
means it doesn't really matter if the Media Centre can be used as one
because many households already have one. And the ones that don't are
NOT going to rush out and buy a =A3700 computer.

Anyone want to take a sportman's bet with me that the XP Media Centre
will NOT be as popular as Microsoft seem to think it will?

  =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA =95 =BA
  Gerard McGovern

    w: http://www.inkiboo= .com
    m: +44 7980 760 228

    aim: inkiboouk y!: inkiboo msn: gerard@xxxxxxx
    "it's better to regret something you have done, tha= n
     to regret something you haven't done"

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D=
3D""