Re: Re: RE: Windows XP Media Center Edition Review

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Re: RE: Windows XP Media Center Edition Review
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:31:01 +0000

That's true, but have you noticed....

recently, various big manufacturers have started using the phrase "Home
Automation", Bill Gates has uttered those very words (and we know he's a
fan..)

We know that a good deal of them are talking to each other, the UPnP spec is
already out there....

These guys are *serious* about producing exactly the kind of common standard
that you are talking about, more to the point, they have the influence to
make it happen in a truly universal way.. - You try persuading Indesit to
fit a Xap interface to their tumble-dryers... However, a consortium of
Microsoft, Intel, AMD, 3Com, Bang & Olufsen, Cisco, Clipsal, Crestron, Dell,
Disney, Eastman-Kodak, IBM, Linn, Lutron, Sharp, Sony, - (to name but a very
few current members), - just might swing it...

Granted, that if *You* don't design the standard, there's a good chance that
it won't be 100% how you'd like it - we obviously have that luxury with Xap,
but where's the future in that if in 5 years time, *everything* you buy in
Curry's has some UPnP capability built-in, and it all just works together
seamlessly, whereas nothing will ever have a Xap interface unless we build
it ourselves, and retro-fit it (voiding the warranty)?

Of course, if someone here wants to start working on a Xap-UPnP gateway,
that could be really usefull... :-)

We can only guess at what the future holds, but I think it's going to be
pretty exciting from our perspectives...

Paul G.