RE: My Plamsa decision hell!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: My Plamsa decision hell!
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 11:23:50 -0000

            A couple= of clarifications Peter.

            The Pana= sonic has 5 different input capabilities when used
with the standard terminal board. These are computer / component / RGB / S-Video and Composite. However as you say some are mutually exclusive.
Component / RGB and also Composite / S-Video for example although no-one would use composite anyway.

            The issu= e you refer to is that the RGB input requires RGB
and V H (separate horizontal and vertical synch). Most sources , say a
DVD, Sky or Freeview box do not supply this instead providing composite
synch. To get around this the Panasonic allows the RGB input to be used
but can take composite synch in on the composite video input but
obviously you then lose that input. This I believe also knocks out the
possibility of S-Video as any source on the S-Video causes the composite source to be overridden. So if you go the RGB + comp synch route then
you effectively drop to just two selectable inputs the RGB and the
Computer. You could buy a synch separator (splitter) that will divide
the composite synch back to horizontal and vertical though too =96 these are around =A375 =96 or less possibly.

            On the t= uner front =96 if you are looking for one of these
then contact me offlist. I recently bought a bundle of the Panasonic
with the new tuner but in the end my new amp does RGB switching and also S-Video to RGB conversion so will be using that rather than the tuner.

            BTW Ther= e is also a Scart board available for the Panasonic
that plugs into the plasma. One of the other issues with the standard
input board is that there is no easy way of taking the Scart pin 8
widescreen switching signal into the plasma =96 the tuner of course having<= BR> the Scart inputs allows this. If you do go the tuner route you lose the
RS232 interface and the computer input =96 although you gain back all the other inputs that the tuner offers. In addition all the Panasonic

            Kevin