Re: Re: [ADVERT] Bits for sale

Graham Howe  wrote:
> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Stephen <mail@s...> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:21:43 -0000, you wrote:
>>

>>>4 x Compaq fingerprint readers (boxed) - =A320 each
>>
>>What are these? Thanks.
>

> I would assume they are the fingerprint access devices from Compaq. > Quite simply it is a little fingerprint reader that plugs in to the > PC and comes with some software that links to the NT (or 2K or XP) > logon process so avoiding you having to CTRL-ALT-DEL and enter user > name and password. ASAIK there is no other software available to
> interact with them, so ideas like door entry are out.

Certainly sounds like the Compaq scanners [based on Identix DFR-200
devices] .. they shipped with v1 s/w which is OLD and Identix won't hand you an upgrade to v2 [for win9x] or v3 [for 2k, xp] unless you buy it.
Likely to be parallel port with ps/2 pass through for power.

Software does exist to work with door stikes such as those by HiD, but
it isn't cheap and I strongly advise against using these in a publically accessible place or exposed to the elements.

On the other hand they're good toys to play with and gain an
understanding of basic biometrics, considering a current scanner will
cost in the region of =A3130 + vat.

--
Calum Morrell
www.drochaid.org