RE: ot aquairum experts ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ot aquairum experts ?
  • From: "Amar Nagi" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:05:58 -0000

Hi ian

Thanks for replying. There is a lot to say :-(

I bought a trigon 190 juwel tank about 4 weeks ago
And I put in the gravel and some bog wood and
As per instructions put in the water.

After a week and went in to see my local
Aquarium supplier and he asked me to bring in
Some water for the tank. He tested the water and
Said it would be ok to put a few hardy fish in there
To get the biological filter working. He reckoned
Neon tetras were a safe bet (I know now that was bad advice).
I was adding ph6.5 which was making the water cloudy
But I was told this would go away. After 2 weeks
I took my water in again to be tested and the supplier recommended
Harleqins. So I bought 6 of them. Everything was ok but the water
Was still cloudy. Everytime I did a small water change the
Filter would bust out some cloudy white stuff and then it would be ok.

I added aquaclear and the water went clearer but not totally transparent.
So I took the bog wood out and they are now soaking in water for 2 weeks.

On the instructions of the supplier I now have 2 clown loaches, 6 platy, 6 harleqins and 3 neons (I did have 13 but 10 have died, 2 got killed by

A albino toad the aquarium suggested would be ok but it was not)
The problem I am getting now is my nitrite levels are high. And the
Fish are at the surface. I lost most of my neons this way. I did a 10% change and it made no difference so I changed 50%. The nitrite levels

Are still high but lower than before. As you can imagine I have dumped
My supplier for a better one and they told me stop feeding the fish
And stick to feeding them once every 3days and to wait till the tank
Can get rid of the nitrite it self and to be patient. At max only change 10% of the water every other day if needed. She gave me a nitrozorb to use

And try being down the ammonium and nitrite levels. I put in some "cycle"
Solution too.

Please can you advise me as I am totally new to this and feel
Really bad that I have lost fish due to bad advise of a supplier.

I appreciate any advise. I still cannot figure out where this
White stuff comes from as I have cleaned out the filters (in old
Aquarium water as instructed and not tap water)

Sorry for the long email

Amar