RE: Dabs join Scam in the "crap online retailers" stakes.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Dabs join Scam in the "crap online retailers" stakes.
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 22:09:42 -0000

>Ian,
>Just for reference.

reference? you compiling a court case or something there Tim? :)

>1. What did you order?

I ordered an APEX DVD player for ?50 + Delivery + VAT, a bargain price for a
bargain basement device.

>2. What were you expecting?

A lower quality, but functional device. perhaps with a crappy remote, sloppy
plastics, or limited feauture set.

>3. What was delivered?

A device which produces an image below VHS quality, with multiple ghosting
on S-Video, and a composite video signal which is not colour stable.

>4. Why did you reject it?

Because the quality is far below what I can endure, even for a budget
player. The product is, to be blunt, crap.

I have a budget 5.1 amp + speaker set in the bedroom, which is not as good
as the *much* more expensive set in the livingroom. But, despite being a
budget system, it's functional.

>Competition and price transparency mean that we all enjoy fantastic
>prices over the 'net for just about anything BUT if people start abusing
>their rights under the distance selling regs (and I'm not saying that
>you are), as Phil mentioned earlier it is going to increase etailers
>costs.

And? the costs increase, so e-tailers stop stocking product that is utter
shit and prone to failure. And in turn, they get less returns... everyone
wins.

who wants cheap, if it's also crap?

>Someone is going to have to pay, and you can guarantee it will be
>the rest of us.

Save the bleeding heart Tim.

I have been gouged till I can't be gouged any more by IT/electronics
e-tailers in the UK. When these companies actually abide by their legal
responsibility with regards to fitness for purpose, then I'll treat them as
partners to nurture a business relationship with rather than highwaymen.

Ian.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor