RE: RE:Dabs "not exactly helpful"

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: RE:Dabs "not exactly helpful"
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 21:55:41 -0000

Phil,
I understand what you are saying, however, I have become rather jaded over
the last few months by online retailers.

Some background: We as a company simply do not shift enough volume to get
good terms with the main distributors, so we are left at the mercy of
suppliers such as Scan, Ebuyer, Redstore etc for small orders.

As a company, Wintermute Consultancy has been shipped something like two
hundred faulty items in the last six months by various suppliers, and the
standard response to *ANY* fault is "We won't take it back". If you purchase
only the odd item from these companies you may not see the pattern, and just
think you are being unlucky. I am in the unfortunate position of getting
screwed constantly by them. When yet another retailer refuses to honour even
a DOA component, who has to pick up the can? me and my company.

On three occassions in the last six months, I have been shipped faulty
components (I'm talking DOA here) and the companies have simply *refused* to
take the faulty goods back, leaving me out of pocket and having to purchase
replacement parts. I have completely lost the margin I was making in each
case. With one supplier, I asked if I had to actually take them to court to
get something done. The answer: "If you think that will help"

I'm afraid I don't see the distance selling regulations as leaving the
seller exposed, but simply meaning that as a consumer, I don't have to live
with the shit that these people make me eat daily as a business customer.

The only reason I have brought this to the list is because I was made aware
of the Apex player from UKHA, and I think the fact that you are working for
a company that gives a flying fuck about it's customers has coloured your
views on the matter.

Dabs are breaking the law. Pure and simple. If they had offered me a refund,
and hit me with a restocking fee, fine, (even though that's against their
own ts and cs) but they didn't. They sold me crap in a box, and when I said
no, I was politely told to fuck off.

Strangely, I am all out of sympathy for them.

I.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor