Re: [OT][ADVERT] Advice on on-line payment / shopping basketprovider.

Anthony Livingstone wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies to date - I've passed them on to my friend.=
>
> Setting up a site with about a dozen items and adding a free shopping<= BR> > cart shouldn't be a problem for him once he finds the appropriate cart= .
> It's the actual processing of the payments that is the sticking point = as
> neither of us have any experience of that.

For the appropriate cart, I'll be using osCommerce as well as the other people that suggested it. You can indeed get a basic site up and running quickly but it's NOT as simple to customise as other people keep making out. I've found numerous module conflicts where complex postage
requirements get ignored or added incorrectly. Still working with it tho :-= )

> Thanks to Calum for recommending Protx - that seems unbelievably cheep=
> at 5p per transaction and no set up fees, subscription, monthly minimu= m,
> etc...
> Problem now is they require an Internet Merchant Account Number from > your bank.
> As it's not a business and he's not working for a charity he's not sur= e
> he can set up a Merchant Account for accepting on-line credit card
> payments.  He's contacted a couple of banks for more info and det= ails of
> fees etc.

Yeah, I know the merchant a/c necessity is a potential problem, I'm at
that stage myself right now. I think Worldpay have special pricing for
charities, although I don't know the details. [note, Worldpays two main options are Worlddirect which INCLUDES the Internet Trading A/c
(merchant) and the Bank version which works with your own merchant a/c. The comparisons Protx offer are based on worldpays bank version.] I
don't know offhand if their charities option includes the ITA or not.

> He wants to stay away from PayPal & Nochex, etc. as you have to re= gister
> with these sites in order to make a payment - many people may not be > keen on that and would prefer a standard on-line checkout.  Also = the
> fees for PayPal seem very high - a =A36 transaction will attract somew= here
> in the region of 45p in fees.
>
> The solution needs to be as cheep as possible as there is no budget an= d
> he'll be forking out for the set up costs himself.
> It also needs to be as simple as possible for the shopper and for him = to
> implement as it's a first attempt at e-commerce.
> And it needs to put an end to world hunger and all conflicts.

Good luck to him, let us know what happens.

--
Calum Morrell
www.drochaid.org

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or