[OT] Tivo help from the guru's

Help! -- Sorry for the long post

I've looked around but haven't found this problem described anywhere yet so=
I thought I'd try the 'Experts' ;-)

Due to an unexpected Christmas bonus I've finally managed to get a Tivo
purchase 'sanctioned',
Of course the bounus arrived 1 day late for the =A399 Dixons offer :-( but = I
went ahead and ordered a =A3129 refurbished one.

Now the bads news...

Since reading a few depressing posts about DOA Tivos yesterday I decided no= t
to wait until node 0 cabling was complete before testing it, good job too since I cannot get it to complete the first call successfully :-(((
Powers-up ok and goes into the Welcome screen explaining that guided setup<= BR> will take 20mins plus 2 to 3 hrs processing time - BUT instead of the two options at the bottom the screen (Home setup or Demo setup) I just get a Press Select to continue option, So I pressed select..

RF channel selection goes ok,

Postcode previously had '0001' entered so I deleted and entered first part<= BR> of my postcode,

I selected Aerial only on the next screen,

On 'Phone Dialing Options' I selected no to continue without changing
options,

The dialup failed - unable to connect

So, I went back to dialling properties to test the phone line and
discovered that the dialling Prefix was set to '012340001'. !??

When I attempt to change any of the phone dialing properties I get a screen=
saying that unable to change dialling settings because an update is in
Progress, (can't remember exactly all of the rest but It mentions that a if=
previous call has failed it may require another call, Housekeeping takes up=
to 2-3 hours to complete, and 'Pending Reset' means that a system uptdate i= s
in progress - and tells me to look at the Settings and dialing help )
The only option I then have is to press 'Select to continue' which takes me=
back to the Dialing properties screen - which I can't alter - Arghh!!!

Tivo support told me to do what I had done several times before - cycle the=
power - and also said that they hadn't seen that problem before. The last suggestion was to leave the Tivo unplugged for 6 hours to perform a system<= BR> reset? and try again in the morning, which I have done - still the same

Before I call Dixons and discover that they have no more in stock does
anyone have any suggestions ? Is it possible to get a Bash prompt at this stage without invalidating the warranty? Would it help? i.e. could I fix th= e
dialling properties to no prefix? or at least reset to defaults...

Dave

P.S.

As a test I experimented with a handset plugged into the same phone line. (Luckily the Detect line option is set to off in the options)
I have tried Dialling the UUNET no by hand and then connecting the Tivo to<= BR> the phone line, but as soon as the Tivo is plugged in I hear a number
unobtainable tone - I can hear the tivo dial faintly in the handset and I can hear the modem negotiation beep, so It does give me some hope that the<= BR> modem is 'trying' to work - but of course it does dial the wrong number...<= BR> arghh!

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""=
3D""