Re: Amplifier recomendations please

Nigel,

I did a couple of things with my SliMP3s which presumably have the
same output levels as the Exstreamer.  Where I had the space, I used <= BR> some ex demo/refurbished Cambridge A1 AMPs from Richer Sounds.  These =
cost me about =A350.00 a piece.

Where space was a premium, I made up one of the Maplin Velleman K4003
30W kits (VF53H - =A319.99).  By the time you add a case (and a
transformer (VS15R - =A313.99) etc, these are virtually no cheaper than the A1s but the case size is abou 25% of a hi-fi amp.  However, the resulting sound is fine as far as I am concerned and I can't notice
any background noise (It's in our guest bedroom and my relatives
slept with it on all night recently - no complaints in the morning.).

Cheers,

James.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel.gidding= s@u...>
wrote:

> Hi, Happy New Year !
>
> Over the past few days I have been setting up an Exstreamer to
operate how I
> want to in my final solution.
>
> I can now operate the Exstreamer from a Pronto and via X-10 and
Homeseer
> send UDP to the Exstreamer allowing me to select playlists, play,
pause and
> skip. Also adjust the volume.
>
> The reason for this long winded route is two fold. I intend to have an
> Exstreamer in each Zone (Room) in my new house providing background music
> and voice announcements. Control will be locally by Pronto. As the pronto is
> used in each room Homeseer will now the origin Zone by the house
code of the
> local receiver and therefore only adjust the local unit. The
advantage is
> that the same screen on the pronto will operate depending on the
location of
> the Pronto, no need for a separate screen for each room, high WAF ? >
> The second reason for the longer route is that Homeseer will be
able to
> modify activities based on external status, playlist selection
based on who
> is in the house, time of day etc. as well as CID announcements,
movement
> detection etc.
>
> The question, at last. I am looking for a PA to connect directly to the
> Exstreamer which will drive ceiling speakers. I have looked at the Quasar
> Kits and they seem good. As the Exstreamer has volume control I
don't need a
> pre-amp.
>
> Any suggestions regarding power output etc. I hope to run the amps 24/7 so
> no background noise is important. I could switch the power using
homeseer
> and relays but don't want power thumps.
>
> Regards
>
> Nigel