RE: Leaving my isdn in, new line for adsl - Was Woohoo...

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Leaving my isdn in, new line for adsl - Was Woohoo...
  • From: "Lee" <lee@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 00:50:25 -0000

>AIUI BT are no longer allowed to degrade somebody's existing service.
>So moving somebody on to a DACS isn't allowed. But if there were a
>spare connection to an existing DACS, your new line might be placed on
>that I suppose. No idea here of course. I thought they were trying to
>get rid of the DACS boxes.

Hmmm, that's not what I was told when I had my DACS ripped out prior to
ADSL install. Alledgedly, BT only supply voice grade copper unless there
is a specific need for it to be better. I.E. if your modem is v.slow -
tough. If you want HH or ADSL they'll de-DACS you, and if there are no
spare cables your neighbours line wil be DACS'ed.

> What's Redcare?

Redcare is a BT run alarm signaling system, whereby a burgler alarm
can signal a call centre without actually making a phonecall (it fiddles
with the voltage on the line)

> If you were DACS-ed (you'd know simply by attempting to connect to a
> dailup ISP with an analogue modem and watch the truly dismal connection
> speed you end up with) they'd look to remove you from the DACS box.

Tell me about it, 48K solid connection at my last place to 21-22K at the
new place. God I love ADSL....

Lee.

But don't get me started on download quotas - you all know it's coming in
2003!

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor