Re: Leaving my isdn in, new line for adsl - Was Woohoo...

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:59:28 -0000, "Richard Challis"
<richard@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I know where the exchange is, I should be within the limit.

You can dial some funky number do to a line test on a number. This
also tells you how far from the exchange you are, but whether it's
accurate is another thing.

I believe it's 17070, then press 3, then 1, finally 2 to get a
callback.

>I think stating on a fax order that the line is for conversion to ADSL
>should cover my butt slightly. It's a 75 quid (plus line rental for a year)
>gamble and I do enjoy a good argument with BT :)

Do keep up informed. I'm in this situation too.

>I know they won't be able to DACS (I think that's the line doubler unit
>isn't it?) my existing line as it's a isdn. Would the engineer consider
>putting such a unit on someone else's line to add my new line?

AIUI BT are no longer allowed to degrade somebody's existing service.
So moving somebody on to a DACS isn't allowed. But if there were a
spare connection to an existing DACS, your new line might be placed on
that I suppose. No idea here of course. I thought they were trying to
get rid of the DACS boxes.

>I believe that if you state it is for Redcare use they won't double the
>line. But Redcare I don't believe works on a ADSL line anyhow?!

What's Redcare?

>If they do double the line up - will this void the ADSL checks? Would they
>remove/consider removing anything like this on the line if they were to
>accept the order?

As it's a 2 stage process I'd imagine you'd get your new line and THEN
they'd to a line test. If you were DACS-ed (you'd know simply by
attempting to connect to a dailup ISP with an analogue modem and watch
the truly dismal connection speed you end up with) they'd look to
remove you from the DACS box. But if they had to install you on that
in the first place to add a new line, you'd probably get rejected??

Don't know, but I have had some experience of the aforementioned
dismal connection speeds, ADSL applications and ISDN installations so
I speak from at least limited experience.

Stuart
--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

stuart@xxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor