RE: I have seen the light.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: I have seen the light.
  • From: "Don McAllister" <donmc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:05:11 -0000

Excellent news Ian\Jenni - I felt a nice warm rosy glow as another two
converts joined the fold ;-)

To respond to some of tims comments:

> Other side of the coin just for one small moment!
>
> I'm quoting bits from John Sim (of RGB to SVideo converter
> fame) though in an email conversation we had over Christmas:
>
> "Quite an informative program.   Unfortunately, half wa= y through the
> recording as Tania Strecker was getting ready for her second
> day, my brother changed Sky over and I missed the last half."

First rule of TiVo - hide the SKY remote!

> "I'm moving from here soon, so may change over to Sky + then
> too.   I've
> never been fully convinced about TiVo.   Yes, it's very good= ,
> but there
> are some flaws such as recorded picture quality that I just
> can't get over.

Not a problem here and I would imagine to 99% of the population.

> "Just very annoying when you're finding the program very
> interesting and Smash Hit TV comes on!"

To be fair this is not TiVos fault, but usually sloppy scheduling on
behalf of the TV companies. Can be circumvented using manual padding ie
always add 5 mins onto the end of recordings for any BBC shows. Other
stations seem to be OK.

> "Sky + is certainly what I'll be upgrading to, especially now > that you've told me you'll soon be able to record two
> channels and pause live

Get a second Tivo :-) Nah, this would have been a great feature over
xmas.

> TV.   With no loss in picture quality, and less clumbsy menu= s,

Less clumbsy menus ? TiVos UI is simple and effective and the epg s
miles better than Sky.

I'll
> happily pay the =A310 extra that I didn't with TiVo.

Forgetting the extra cost of Sky+ (and getting people to understand
exactly what TiVo is) I think the subscription based service is TiVos
weakness and probably the major reason why it hasn't taken off in the UK as it should. For some reason, whenever I have shown Tivo to anyone the
wow factor has been great, whenever you mention the subs, the enthusiasm seems to drain from them. There seems to be an inbuilt suspicion of an
additional monthly fee once buying the box, even when the box was being
touted for =A399 for god sake! TivO would have been better placed to use a<= BR> model where the box was perceived as free with a slight increase in the
subs, or roll the subs into the price of the box.

Just my 2p

Don

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""=