RE: Household temperature sensors

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Household temperature sensors
  • From: "Dave McLaughlin" <dave@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 16:01:14 -0000

Hi Quinten,

They are some kind of thermister as far as I can see so no easy way of
interfacing. Maplin used to do one with a 13 bit binary output but not sure
if they still do. They do sell radio controlled cars though :o)

Doing a DS18S20 and a local display would be easy with LED's or such like
and running an RS485 Xap based protocol if you need such a thing. Mine is
currently running a CAN bus link with the SHT11 from Sensirion. I don't
have
a local display but that would be trivial to add. I am going to look at
doing something for X10 as I think the current temperature controllers are
far to expensive. I would use the TW523 (or summit like that) as the X10
interface. With a simple LED and a smart microcontroller I should be able
make it fairly low cost.

I'll be posting details on my web in the new year as I have started to put
it all together with photographs etc.

Regards
Dave...