RE: [OT] Plasma Advice

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Plasma Advice
  • From: "Paul Gale" <groups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 10:25:12 -0000

I went for the 50" Panasonic (series 5 - new model) a couple of months= ago. I tested both the Panasonic and Pioneer side by side at a dealer (but= then bought one somewhere else for =A3800 less!).

The Panasonic's 3000:1 contrast ratio is VERY noticeable over the Pioneer -= much darker blacks. Some people say that the Pioneer has better definition= in the blacks though (something I didn't notice). Another minor reason why= I went for the Panasonic was the styling of the case - IMO the Pioneer's s= tyling looked a little older (not so sleek as the Panasonic) - Just my view= though.

I'm absolutely stunned by the picture quality it gives (especially with a S= huttle PC connected to it). Even a composite video feed from my Sky+ box lo= oks very good - I also use a component feed from DVD and RGB to Component f= eed from the Sky+ box.

One of the great features of the Panasonic is the serial control port - got= mine linked to a PC in node 0 and controlled by ACE software (don't know i= f the Pioneer has this - although I suspect it probably does?)

Paul.