RE: Re: Halogens for thickies

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Halogens for thickies
  • From: "Dean Barrett" <dean@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:05:40 -0000

Marcus

Heat disipation from the lights is important, as is ensuring transformers
are not covered.

If heat builds up around the light, life will be reduced - fittings are
designed to allow flow of air around the lamp.

I would not worry about trying to find an IP65 light - unless you have no
tiles at all on the roof  - IP ratings for downlights are from the other
side - not the top !

65 refers to a high level of ingress protection. If you plan on putting one
in a shower cubicle then go for spashproof LV - no need for steamproof.

In the kitchen ceiling ensure you use single 60va transformers for each
downlight these will go through the same hole as the light and can be
easliy
recovered in the case of a failure.

We use transformers with self diagnosis LED's tell you if they're running
overload, short, or off if not working at all :)

The biggest advantage of using LV over mains halogen will be dimming
utilising traditional dimmers - a standard 250w dimmer will control 250w LV
no problem - if you are using mains halogen all rating have to be doubled,
therefore 250w dimmer will only control 2 x 50w mains halogen as loading on
dimmer is 100w per fitting... dont ask me why :)

In the mid floors of the property, i.e. kitchen or bathrooms in a 3 storey,
it is recommended that you attempt to preserve the integrity of the fire
barrier created by the plasterboard, this can be acheived in a number of
ways.

1. fit intumescent hoods - these have come down in price considerably and
are not feasible to fit through a 65mm cut out.
2. plasterboard the sides of the joists and ends - produces the desired
effect and allow airflow.

You should have no danger of electrocution if you've fitted LV lights
correctly, the important thing is to ensure that the mains side is
correctly
terminated into the transformer - use a 5a junction box if the transformer
is prewired - DO NOT use connectors and tape !!

You may have guessed from the above, i'm in the electrical trade :) - i'm
NICEIC qualifying manager for my company, so spend alot of my time reading
BS7671, especially part 601 onward which refers to special areas such as
bathrooms etc.

Dean.
C-Bus authorised integrator.
www.technologyintegrated.co.uk