RE: OT : eBay

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT : eBay
  • From: "Malcolm Surgenor" <malcolm@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 10:00:07 -0000

I recall reading about this scam myself but I can't recall getting one of
the e-mails.

I contacted eBay straight away but in the meantime I remembered I can login
using Microsoft's .net password - which I did. I then had access to the full
details (name, address, e-mail, etc) of the individual that had hacked me.
I immediately changed my e-mail address, password and password hints. Of
course eBay then automatically send the confirmation of these back to the
e-mail address they have on file. So although I've successfully changed my
password the 'hacker' knows I've changed and also from what IP address
(fixed).

eBay have responded this morning basically stating I should change my
password and retract any bids placed (there are none).

What's concerning me though is how did the perpetrator get my password and
if he's got that one has he got others?

Malcolm

PS - I also reported him to his ISP